Welcome to the Emsworth Sports & Social Club. A social place for all of those in Emsworth and surrounding areas. Come, unwind and relax at the Emsworth Sports and Social Club
A great place to socialise whilst enjoying regular entertainment nights. Join our newsletter to keep updated.
We have many new billiard and pool tables to enjoy with all of your friends. Perhaps one of the most important parts of a social club - a well stocked, well priced bar, serving snacks & beverages. The ESSC has a function room available to hire out for any event you wish. Ask us for more information. We have many activities and clubs including chess, snooker, darts, fishing, bingo and more!

History of Emsworth Sports & Social Club

As far as can be deduced, The Emsworth Sports & Social Club was formed around 1918, starting off as The Emsworth Sports Club. The grounds at that time were rented from St Anne’s Convent, who owned the land and the large house opposite at 34 Havant Road. Several tennis courts were located in the area north of the Club, in what is now known as Highland Road. The Clubhouse, at that time comprised an old ex WWI wooden billet, which was located along side the Havant Road the land was owned by the Convent.


The earliest reference in Directories held in Emsworth Museum are in 1926 when it is described as Emsworth Sports Club - at which facilities for the playing of Billiards, Tennis, Bowls, Football, Cricket, etc., are provided. President: Mr.N.E.W.Kinnell, J.P.,C.C. Vice-Presidents: Rev. O.A.Hunt, M.A. and Messrs. B.W.King-Hall and W.B.Foster. Hon.Secretary: Mr.H.Lover. Hon.Treasurer: Mr.E.P.Hallett.


During the war the club was kept open and family’s were made welcome, they had a Progressive Whist Drive played in partners once a month during 1942 and children were welcome and also played the card games and were given prizes. Ann Newman & Michael Kennet were around age 9 and enjoyed the family evenings out.


In 1950’s the club owned 7 moorings in Emsworth Harbour these were rented to members till they were sold in 1981


In 1968 the Fisherman who used to meet in the Black Dog in Havant all started to use the club house for there weigh ins and events, at the time there were 72 Fisherman, to name a few: , Clive Burges, Denny Carpenter, Dave Cook, Gary Edwards, Terry Foster, Dave Frampton, Charlie Freshwater, Roy Gamain , Nick Geath, Mick Hampton, Frank Howard, Sid Kennet, Bill & Andy Marshall who’s boat Odem was the last boat with a wooden hull to be built in Emsworth, Les Miles, Alistair Ramsay, Jack Smith, Denny Stella, Ray Stephens, Rob Stephens, Mike Thomas, Alan Teal – Alan was the 1st Fisherman to build a big boat a Mitchell 31, Charlie Wilson, Stacey, Steve.

There was also a Junior Club, Darren Cook, Gary Edwards, Stuart Hallet, Robert Howard.

Late 60's

By the late 60’s the club building had become very run down, the floor was being repaired by members on various occasions and they had to have tarpaulins over the snooker tables due to the leaking roof. The 30 tennis players refused to pay yearly memberships and just paid seasonal fee’s they also refused to help out with the running of the club, if it wasn’t for the Fisherman taking over there wouldn’t be a club here today. Ray Prior and his wife, Gwen Jones and her boy friend Mick volunteered and opened up and ran the bar. All the fisherman and snooker players were happy.


In the 1970’s there was lots going on, the club opened at 3pm for the tennis players during the summer. The Fisherman had events, competitions, presentations etc once a month Dave Cook would organize a coach and they would all have a trip to the Arundel Social Club. They would have a meat raffle every Friday which Bob Priest ran. There was too many of them to fit into the club for there annual dinner and dance so they would go to the Curzen Ball Room in Waterlooville.

The fisherman would come in with fish and whenever there was plenty to go round they would give the pensioners buckets of fish, one day they had so much mackerel they went round the whole of Emsworth giving it away.

On a few occasions they had a few to many drinks and forgot their fishing rods, so they would take snooker cues and put lines on them to use, they would always return them the next day!


In 1976 the Convent closed and the land sold to Mr D Sadler, a local builder. Who decided to evict the club and use the land for housing development. If his plan had succeeded, in its entirety, then the Club would have ceased to exist. However, Mr A.H. (Bill) Bailey, the Hon Treasurer at that time, fought a very long protracted legal battle through the local Havant Magistrates Court, which ended in a favourable settlement.

Mr Sadler offered to build, free of charge; a brand new brick built Clubhouse, in exchange for the Club relinquishing all tenancy rights to the tennis court land. Consequently, the present Clubhouse was built and a 25-year ground lease agreed with Mr Sadler.


In 1988, with just half of the lease remaining, the Committee decided to ask Mr Sadler if he was prepared to permit the Club to become Free Holders in perpetuity. A settlement purchase price was agreed and contracts exchanged. Finance, to pay for the Free Hold, was obtained partly from the Club’s savings deposits and a bank mortgage.

Since then several significant changes have occurred


Enlarged bar area, moved the central heating boiler and relocate both toilets to their present positions.


The Western function room was added and connected to the main lounge via a sliding partition. Also built at that time was a fully functioning kitchen.


Construction of larger cellar as well as creating the present snooker room bar. An extra toilet was also added at the far end of the room.


Enlargement of the Eastern patio to form a smoking area with heating, benches and tables.

2014 Flooring around bar area updated to vinyl
2016 All chairs, stools & benches recovered & decorationg done.

This is what the club looked like in 1918


Last Updated on Friday, 12 August 2016 09:38